How to perform land leveling? Is it worth to use services of professional companies or do it by yourself? What do I have to take into account when doing this type of work?
Under the term “land leveling” there are two activities that are often confused with each other. The first one is the creation of the so called terrain grid, i.e. determination of differences between points. This activity is performed by surveyors using specialized equipment. Thanks to their work, we know where the hills, pits and heaps are located on a plot of land. In addition, we get information about the slope of the land. In turn, the second definition refers to land profiling. In practice, these are all activities that seek to level the plot as accurately as possible or to adapt the terrain to a specific purpose.
How to prepare for land leveling?
The first and most important thing is to plan the land leveling. It is necessary to take into account not only the size of the plot, which in many cases is crucial, but also the difference in levels and the type of soil. It is worth remembering that land leveling, in addition to removing hills, also requires backfilling of pits. In many cases, it will be necessary to bring in soil. Fortunately, on the market you can find many companies that specialize in this type of service.
- In the situation when we start profiling the terrain on which the building will be constructed, it is worth remembering one rule. The slope of the land should always be directed towards the borders of the plot. Why is it so important? First of all, it is about dampness which can accumulate around foundations. In a situation where it is not drained only accumulated, gradual damage to the walls may occur. Also, there is a high risk of high humidity in the basement, which can lead to mold and mildew growth.
- Wanting to level the area as accurately as possible, it is worth investing in a leveler. This type of device uses laser technology, characterized by extremely high precision. In a nutshell, its mode of operation can be compared to that of a spirit level.
- The smaller the plot of land, the theoretically it is easier to level it. In practice, however, it turns out that the most work is in the case of plots with deep pits and high hills. In such cases, independent profiling will be very time-consuming.
- The most important tools used during self-levelling of terrain are shovel, spade and wheelbarrow. Thanks to them we are able to level out unevenness on a small plot of land relatively quickly. Also useful are gardening gloves, which protect hands not only from dirt, but also from minor mechanical injuries.
Professional companies have advanced equipment for land leveling, which can cope with virtually all the unevenness. Using services of this type is worth considering when you have a very large plot of land. Otherwise, if you feel up to it, have the desire and free time, it is worth trying to level the area yourself.
Leveling the land for a lawn
When preparing the land for a lawn, you don’t need to plan for any slopes. When the ground is level, there is a greater chance of even soil moisture. This in turn leads to the grass growing more or less the same in every corner of the plot.
- People who want to build a rockery on their lawn should make a hill in one place, the size of which depends on the planned size of the structure.
- When you level a lawn area, you partially remove the so-called humus layer, which is the most fertile. In order for the grass, flowers and trees to develop properly, new, fertile soil must be added. The thicker this layer, the better for the plants.
There is a simple rule of thumb when it comes to levelling the ground yourself. The more time you spend on it, the better results you will get. If you have the opportunity, it is worth asking for help at least one person. Then all the work will be not only faster, but also more pleasant.
Main photo of the article: source: Designed by FreepikLeave a comment